Tuesday 2 January 2018

Day 5 At sea.

Last night we went to the Grand Cuvee for dinner. We had a window table to ourselves. One is only seated for dinner, breakfast and lunch is free seating. 

The menu bodes well - among the many choices for starters were scallops, muscles salmon etc and mains consisted of hake, lobster tail, Beef Wellington etc.  Desert choices were  baked Alaska (I haven’t had it for years - not since my first trip to the US in the 70s), and varieties of cakes, puddings and ice- creams. The portions were small but when one has lunch, there is no need for large portions. 

After dinner, we adjourned to the theatre for the show. It was entertaining as a foursome - two guys and two girls performed songs with orchestral sounds made by their microphones  alone!! 

After an hour, we adjourned to the pool area (Level 12) to ring in the New Year. 



It was alive with people. 

As the midnight hour approached, more guests joined in. I’d estimate the area comfortably held 2,000 people and the champagne was flowing! A lively band entertained us and counted down the New Year.



There were also other venues celebrating the birth of 2018 - probably a little more sedately! Last year, we celebrated New Year in Wellington, NZ. It was a wet, cold night with a chilly wind blowing in from the Cook Straits, which marred the celebrations somewhat - so much so that I had to check my NZ blog to jog my memory!!

I had the best sleep I’ve had in years. I suspect that the ship sung me a lullaby! 

We breakfasted in the Grand CuvĂ©e restaurant - the main restaurant. If one books the Aqua or    Suite class, one has different restaurants. 
A great selection of juices, cereals, eggs, waffles and pastries were available. The staff are very polite and attentive - they will accommodate your every wish. I can understand then why Celebrity  Silhouette, our ship, has been awarded the world’s number one cruise ship. 



                     Celebrity Centre



A view of Celebrity Centre from Deck 15. 

We then went for a seminar on shore tours. The tours are very expensive starting at US$99 pp. As the ship docks near the cities, I think we’ll do our own thing. Apart from the cost, I’m not a fan of being herded around in a tourist bus!!! 

Shopping is big in these islands- especially precious stones. I think that when we land in St Thomas on Wednesday, I will make a purchase - what, I haven’t decided ..... We also attended a seminar  on shopping (I swore I wouldn't) but the fact that Celebrity Cruises will guarantee your purchases at a number of designated stores is tempting! 

Lunch beaconed. I know I’ve just had breakfast!! For lunch there is a choice of venues but I prefer the dining room. Again a great selection ... The Maitre D’ enquired if we’d like to join a table. We agreed and joined a family of four from NYC. He was a doctor, she a nurse, their son in IT and their daughter a speech therapy undergraduate. Their son had just returned from a visit to Ireland, stayed at the Shelbourne, ate at Guilbauds and Chapter1 and took tours around the country. His mother was most anxious to visit and we advised to visit in the Spring or the Fall (Autumn) . 

Afterwards, we adjourned to the pool deck at Level 14 and  realised why there were so few lunching in the Dining Room. Out on deck were three restaurants in addition to the Ocean Cafe nearby. 



On the deck above (Deck 15 - the highest deck) was the Lawn Tennis Club - an area of grass where lunch is served on white clothed tables. It was all so civilized - a British institution with an American twist. 



I am now sitting by the pool. The temperature is perfect with a nice warm breeze. I believe from Britain Today (one of a number of publications which keeps us in touch with the outside world) that it was only 7 in Dublin and the west has experienced Storm Dylan !! It must be at least 25 here! What a life!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment